Thursday, December 3, 2009

No, He's not Perfect


As the world watches its number one athlete own up to “transgressions” which go back more than two years ago, its people are forced to face the fact that their super star athlete is actually human. On Wednesday, November 25, I was sitting under a tree in the middle of the woods, waiting in vain for even a glimpse of a whitetail, when I felt a buzz on my phone. Upon picking it up, I discovered that it was a text message from my sister, informing me that Tiger Woods had been in a car accident at about 2:30 that morning. I was relieved to hear that alcohol was not a factor, but my mind couldn’t help but wonder why Woods was “sneaking” out so late. My suspicion was that Tiger and his wife Elin had had some sort of disagreement, but little did I know.


As it turned out, Woods has been involved in affairs with at least three different women, and one of them, a cocktail waitress in Los Angeles, has acknowledged that she has been involved with Tiger for 31 months! Though details as to the extent of these affairs remain unknown, Tiger has still lost his reputation as a “spotless” athlete, as well as the trust of his family.

Having had the opportunity to watch the world’s number one play his game on two different occasions at the Tour Championship in Atlanta, Georgia, I have seen firsthand the throng of people who follow him up and down the fairways, some seemingly in an attitude of worship and admiration as he passes. Now, I’ll not deny that it is certainly exciting to see the best in the game do what he does; both times I have watched him in person I have been beyond impressed with how well he plays the game, but so many others look beyond his golf and see him as a perfect individual. I have even heard people ask, “Is he even human?” I think that what has been revealed over the past week speaks loud and clear to the entire world that, yes, Tiger Woods is human, and, no, he is far from perfect.


In a statement released Wednesday on his website, Tiger admits, “I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect.” Now, some have credited his P.R. guys for writing such a great apology; regardless of whether that is true, it is at least good to hear him own up and apologize for his “transgressions.”


However, what is so upsetting about all this is not all the boys and girls, and men and women, who unfortunately look up to a fallen man, like you or I, as a role model, but that Woods had the audacity to think he could get away with this without affecting his family. After Tiger had his reconstructive knee surgery in 2008, he was quoted a number of times saying how he had enjoyed this time off from the game, spending more time with his family, and watching his little girl (Sam) grow. However, one wonders now what was really going on all those months as Tiger recovered from surgery. Nevertheless, the wise words of Solomon come flooding back into my head, “The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out.” – Proverbs 10:9.


It was only a matter of time before his actions would be discovered. Tiger says in his statement that, “Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.” Whether this is true or not, I don’t know, but I feel for his wife. By his actions, Tiger has spit in her face and said, “I am not satisfied with you, and since I’m not satisfied with you I will go find someone (or three others) who can satisfy me.” Tiger has chosen to go outside his marriage relationship in an effort to find someone that will satisfy him. Whether Tiger knows it or not, his wife is a gift of the Lord. For him to say by his actions that he is not satisfied with his wife is for him to say to God that he is not pleased with what He gave him!


This should serve as a warning to all of us, for we are all susceptible to the same sin as Tiger. The marriage relationship is something that is only done well when both husband and wife recognize that they are mirroring the relationship between Christ and his church. Our carnal man will never be satisfied with one individual unless and until we learn to become satisfied in Christ. As Voddie Baucham says in the sermon attached to this post, “If you are feasting on Christ, all of your needs are being met and your relationship with your wife is gravy. If Christ is my all in all and I am satisfied in him and I look to my wife and say, Oh God that you would satisfy me utterly and completely and on top of that you give me this woman! Read Ecclesiastes if you don't believe. There is no woman or man that will satisfy their spouse, the only one that will satisfy is Christ.”

The end of Tiger’s statement says, “I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology.” I hate to say it, but as much as he will try, he will never become a better husband, father, or better overall person in his own ability. That statement is a reflection of him turning in on himself and thinking that in his own self righteousness he can become a better person. The only way he can become a better husband and father is by relying completely on Jesus Christ. Because, apart from Christ, he has no power over his self-centered desires. Unless and until Tiger feeds on Jesus Christ, he will never be the husband, father, or person he could be.

With all that being said, let’s not walk away from this with a “holier than thou” attitude. Apart from Christ, in our own fallen frailty, that’s what we’d be like. If we are to truly become the husbands and fathers God has called us to be, then we must remember these words of our savior:
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2Every branch of mine that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.” - John 15:1-6

Josh



No comments: