Monday, November 22, 2010

A Recap of Two Overwhelming Weeks #3



Due to the nature of the fact that the event I attended in San Antonio was an Academy (a school for young filmmakers), and in an effort to respect those who have produced and are now selling the products from the Academy and Festival, I will simply attempt to briefly summarize, as accurately as possible, the sessions I attended.

An event I had eagerly anticipated for so long was literally slipping into reality as I strolled into the Grand Hyatt in San Antonio, Texas on Monday the 25th. Surrounding me were the faces of fellow men and women who are all passionate for the very thing I am, creating epistemologically sound, God-honoring Christian films outside of Hollywood. It was as though I was at a reunion. Friends from Ace Wonder were everywhere. Needless to say, smiles were abundant. But, I can honestly say, the face I was most excited to see in the room was my father's. I can't fully express how thankful I am that God has blessed me with a father who desires to be a mentor, instructor, and leader to his sons' film business. Going into business with your father is quite remarkable.


After mingling for a short time with some friends Dad, Jonathan, and I took our seats. As Mr. Geoff Botkin presented the opening charge and called everyone to order, I felt as though I had just boarded a ship and was given an oar with which I was to begin rowing to battle. After a stirring introduction by Mr. Botkin, Mr. Doug Phillips took the podium and opened the academy with his session entitled: An Introduction to Epistemology and Biblical Worldview for Filmmakers. In his session, Mr. Phillips defined Epistemology as our starting point, our foundation, our reason for why we believe what we believe, how we get from point A to point B, and understanding our worldview and its implications on life. The Christian filmmaker must approach his filmmaking from a distinctly Biblical Worldview. In order for the filmmaker to remember this principle, he must constantly be asking himself the questions, “By what standard? What saith the Scriptures?”


The very next session was given by actor Kirk Cameron (famous for his character Mike Seaver in the sit-com Growing Pains, and, more recently, Caleb Holt in Fireproof). Kirk introduced himself by first giving his life story, from Growing Pains to present. He talked about some of the differences between sit-com acting and acting for film and the difficulties with each. He told us how he came to accept Christ as his Savior while still acting as Mike Seaver in Growing Pains, and some of the problems that arose because of his faith and the difficult choices he was forced to make. He told us about his wife, a former actress, who now stays at home with their six children. We learned about his next film project, entitled Monumental. He told the students how he prepared for his role as Caleb Holt in Fireproof.


He taught us his acting style, going so far as to walk us through the “notice of divorce” scene in Fireproof, and how he was able to cry on the spot, exactly the same way, for multiple takes and various angles whenever given the cue. He staged an audition with several volunteers from the crowd using famous scenes from Casablanca and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. He critiqued actors performances on stage and showed what directors should be looking for in their actors during an audition. He told us what actors and directors should and should not expect during an audition. He watched performances of Derek Moreland (Actor in Ace Wonder) and John Moore (Writer, Director, and Actor in Ace Wonder) and gave each practical advice. And, upon request of Doug Phillips, he acted out a scene from Casablanca with John Moore.


I gained a great deal of practical knowledge by listening to this godly man teach us his skill. Yet, two of the most meaningful statements he made were these: “The thing that answered the ego question for me was: I'm part of the ultimate statistic, 10 out of 10 people die, whether I'm famous or not. And when I stand before Almighty God, which could be today, I will not be the celebrity in that relationship.” “The single most important quality is the fear of God.” This man has taken such an incredible stance for truth over the years of his film career and it greatly encouraged me to witness a genuine Christian actor who is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.


Kirk Cameron Speaks about Christian Acting from Vision Forum on Vimeo.


The next workshop was entitled Understanding Actors and Acting: Madness and Methods (Geoff and Isaac Botkin)


This workshop was one of the most fascinating at the Academy. Prior to this session, I had a basic understanding of the fact that some actors can become so psychologically engaged in their character that they can no longer think correctly (i.e. Heath Leger – Joker in The Dark Knight), but I had no idea why that was, what it was, where it came from, and why it is dangerous on a number of levels. Essentially, as Isaac told us, it boils down to one of two foundational worldviews: Relativistic Spontaneous Chance, or Purpose-Driven Intelligent Design. Those who adhere to Method acting approach their acting with the idea of spontaneous chance. One example, out of the many which Isaac presented of how this worldview manifests itself, is that method actors allow their heart, the seat of emotion, to drive their acting (clearly an unbiblical principle: Proverbs 25:28, 1 Corinthians 9:27). As a result of this worldview, the actor becomes the arbiter of the set rather than the director and the result is, in most cases, devastating to the film and sometimes the actor. In the Independent Christian Film Industry, it is our goal to strive to be purposeful in everything we do, even acting.


Isaac and Geoff Botkin's workshop was followed up with a very practical, yet profound message from Stephen Kendrick (Writer and Producer of Fireproof and Courageous). His session was entitled Tips to Ensure Better Acting in Your Productions.


I would like to note that this was the first time I have ever heard Stephen Kendrick speak and I was blown away by his humility and Christ exalting attitude. He is a man completely saturated in the Word. He is a man who is very successful in the Independent Christian Film Industry, yet humble enough to admit that “The more time you spend with us the less impressed you'll be with us and the more impressed you'll be with our God.” He is a filmmaker who embodies the ideals of the film academy, a man who truly sees that his success is only found in the saving grace of Jesus Christ. He is a man who understands that the only reason he is blessed is because Christ was cursed. And like a cherry on top of everything else, he is a very dynamic, energetic, fun speaker.



Stephen began his session by asking, “Is it biblical to act?” Many Christians do not believe acting is legitimate on the grounds that pretending to be someone you're not is lying. However, Stephen explained that our goal is to promote truth, not to deceive. Additionally, he noted that Jesus Himself told many parables in which he was acting as someone else. This was illustrated in a very comedic fashion that words on a page could never articulate! However, when Jesus told parables, He always portrayed a character in a story to communicate truth. In short, if it's honoring to the Lord, motivated by truth, it's biblical. Here are some of the other points Stephen made:


1. Pray Diligently!

2. Cast Wisely

3. Direct Strategically

4. Creatively Overcome Weak Acting

5. Critique BRUTALY

6. Re-Edit Creatively – Take out


The final session that evening was one I was not expecting. We were given the incredible honor of being taken on a tour through the Kendrick brothers latest production, Courageous. In addition to hearing, essentially, the entire plot of the movie, we were given a special treat; several scenes from the film itself. I cannot tell you how enthused I am about this film! It has incredible potential to wrought powerful change in the hearts of fathers across this nation. I have been sworn to secrecy by Mr. Kendrick, so I can give you no spoilers, but I will say that the message is very powerful, the visuals are stunning, there are no rough spots in the acting, and the dialog is incredible, I was laughing hysterically one moment and then moved to tears the next. Continue to pray for all those involved in the production, there is still much to be done.


Stephen Kendrick of the Movie "Courageous" Speaks on Guarding the Blessing of God in Filmmaking from Vision Forum on Vimeo.


At the end of the day, I talked with many friends and then waited in line to speak with Stephen. The man I met was the very man he was on stage. I left praising God for a meaningful, cherished conversation between he and I. I left rejoicing about the work our great God is doing through this industry. I left with (yet again) a greater love for Christ as a result of what I was taught. I left with a burden to make epistemologically sound Christian films. I left with a desire to study more theology. I left with a desire to find actors who are in the business to exalt Christ and serve those they are co-laboring with, not those who wish to express themselves and be the arbiter of the set. I left encouraged, challenged, strengthened, and equipped. Yet I also had a holy fear for what my brother, my father, my family, and I are preparing to enter.


The next day is soon coming.


In Christ,

Josh

1 comment:

Yuri Richardson said...

Josh,

Thanks for the update and for sharing your life interest & experiences with us.

Shalom in Yahshua Ha Mashiach.